Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Silent Night

Of all the family traditions we have, I love my Christmas tree the best. We put all our ornaments on it: those bought on vacation, homemade, kid-made, antique, beautiful, and funny. It is interesting how I can look at a tree filled with so many random things that don’t actually reflect the true meaning of Christmas and still turn my focus to the Savior of my soul and the blessings he has given me.  Funny glitter trees and an 8 year old’s strand of popcorn remind me how blessed I am to be a mother.  A hand-sewn teddy bear made by the loving hands of my grandmother and miniature birdhouses made by my father remind me of the blessing of family. Hand blown ornaments bought in a little coastal town remind me of a time when God taught me that He helps us to grow wherever He has put us.  Ornaments collected over the years as gifts or “stolen” at parties remind me of a wealth of treasured friends and moments.  Nativity ornaments remind me of my Savior’s birth and great love for me. 

When I find my silent, still moment and no one is around, I turn off all the lights except the lights on the tree.  I sit back and reflect on God’s goodness to me, and in the stillness, I recognize His faithfulness in my life.  Have you found a calm moment to appreciate the silent stillness and the wonder of Christ? 

“Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright…Silent night, holy, night, Son of God, loves first light.” These are my two favorite phrases in this Christmas carol.  Can you picture it? A silent night broken by a baby’s cry; an infant whose birth is announced by the most extravagant birth announcement of all time: angels & a star, proclaiming that the Son of God has come to earth. 


Put the kids to bed early, make a cup of coffee, turn off the world, and take a moment to reflect on the wonder of the silent night.

No comments:

Post a Comment