Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Present


I love the holiday season. I love all the things about Christmas that many people consider a hassle. I love shopping for the perfect gift for my loved ones. I love to decorate my house. I love to bake, to entertain and to sit on the couch and admire my beautiful Christmas tree. 

We have a lot of traditions in our family that accompany the Christmas season.  We pick our Christmas tree on the weekend following Thanksgiving and have a tree decorating party with our family. With mom being gone this year, the tradition was carried on at my sister’s house.  We host a few annual parties, we celebrate Christmas Eve first at church, and then at dinner with friends. On Christmas Eve everyone gets to open one special present-always new pajamas- so that you look good in the pictures the next morning! We have Christmas day with family; this year at our house. We exchange Christmas presents; a show of our love for each other and joy of being together to celebrate Jesus’ birth. 

With all of these traditions, I sometimes have to remind myself, in the midst of all the fun and preparation, to remain Christmas Present.  I want my heart and mind to be focused on the real reason that we celebrate at Christmas.

I want to be Christmas present. I want to be present in this moment of celebrating Jesus’ birth. I want my traditions to be built around something with more foundation than boxes, bows and shining lights.

Luke 2:11  “For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior which is Christ the Lord.” 

We celebrate because He is Present.

No comments:

Post a Comment