Monday, January 6, 2014

Ringing in the New Year


Most local churches used to have towers with bells in them. The bells were rung daily to mark time, and also for special events. In England it used to be customary to ring the church bells at midnight on New Year’s  day, to both send out the old year-as you would ring the bell for someone who had died-and to welcome in the New Year.  Because of this, we “Ring in the New Year.”

 I have always found New Year’s to be a little bit of a let-down. The holidays are over, my house looks bleak without the Christmas tree and decorations, and there seems to be a slight air of unrest.  It is as if the New Year is asking for more of me.  There are certain things that I find myself doing: cleaning closets, organizing drawers and paperwork, exercising more, eating better.  Each year I think I will make some changes. I decide this is the year that I won’t let my paperwork pile up before I file it.  I will stop hiding chocolate in the cupboard and eating it when no one is looking. I will walk my dog more often and go to yoga twice a week. I will spend more time in the Word.  Somehow, someway, I crave change.

This year, the New Year has already been “rung in”, but it isn’t too late to affect change in my life.  I want to view change as a healthy and regular part of life. In truth, change is coming whether I want it or not. However, like the New Year, I can choose the way I ”ring it in”. If I am standing still, if life is standing still around me, I am stagnant and unable to grow. If I am open to change in my life, in my heart and in all that goes on around me then I am ready to receive whatever it is the Lord has for me this year.  And in this world of change, my God remains steadfast. He remains the constant to which I will cling.

“Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” Is 54:10

No comments:

Post a Comment